Every Day In May: Day 10 - Mother's Day!

10:49 AM crk 0 Comments

While I'm here praising all the Mom's in my life, I can't get into the "holiday." I can't get over the fact that a lot of people treat it as a competition, kind of like Valentine's Day.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the phrase "My Mom is better than your mom." Or really "my ANYTHING is better than your ANYTHING." I know it's an innocent phrase but I'm just not into it. Like even if they were being serious, there's no way that the person who said it knows EVERY ONE'S MOM in the world to make that judgement.
Another phrase I don't like is "My mom (or something) is the most perfect Mom (/something) in the world." Okay, like maybe to them they are, but again, they don't know every mom in the world to make that judgement. I know it's really lame and it's me being bother over things that I shouldn't care about, but it really just irks me.

To the competition part, it's like "I took my mom out to dinner," "oh I got my mom/my grandma/my wife/my anything a diamond necklace," "oh well I got mine a car," "oh I bought mine a mansion," etc. It's like no one can be happy for someone and they're just always trying to one-up them.
Not everyone can do a lot for someone. Not everyone can afford something extravagant for someone they're trying to give gifts to. Someone may be able to offer their presence while someone else would be able to afford that car. Some don't even have a mom to give to. Neither one of those people should be belittled because of what they can or can't give.

If you're on good terms with your mom, you should appreciate her any day of the year, not just Mother's Day. Same for Valentine's Day - you should appreciate your significant other every day of the year. Same with Father's Day, your anniversary, any kind of specific day for you and an other in your life.

This is my first Mother's Day where I have my baby out of the womb and I'm really going to try and soak it up and not think of the negative. I hope y'all can do the same. Shower your mom, your mom-like figure, your grandmother, your aunt, your baby's mom, your friend's mom, anyone and everyone with love. Not only today but every day.

0 comments: