Every Day In May: Day 21 - my project!

1:56 PM crk 0 Comments

In this post you'll see one of the many projects I did today. I'm pretty proud of it and I'm going to brag on myself even though this is a simple job.
Usually, it's courteous to show the finish project first, but eh - lol. Sorry, maybe on my next project. I'm also sorry about the iPhone 6+ quality photos.



This week has been all about a lot of different projects for the house so the new home buyers will be content with buying it. The past two or three days, we've been doing minor things to the house. Replacing light switches, outlets, wall plates, and the automatic sprinklers. Well today, while Josh  was at work, I did some work myself since he had a pretty big project when he got home. Since we couldn't find a wall plate in store to fit the toggle switch (pictured above), we just decided to replace the whole thing instead of waiting on an ordered item.


Here we have the breaker box. Josh or his mom would turn each breaker one by one until we found the one that would turn off the bathroom light. Once we found the breaker, we would label and go on with the project. Please do not work on electrical stuff without turning off the power to it! You'll get shocked. It's not any fun, trust me.


Sorry for the fat hands, but this is pretty much a useless photo I sent letting Josh know I didn't die while taking out the light switch. Go me!!


And then I had to send him this picture to let him know that the wires that were plugged into the previous light switch were black, black, black and red when it's suppose to be white, black, white, and black. (and sometimes a copper ground wire, but the box was grounded and so we didn't have to do it!)


Yay! I wired it all by myself!


But oops! I had to redo this twice. The third time is a charm, right? The first time I turned the breaker on with the light toggle switch on - the light turned on! Yay! Success. Okay, but I was probably 20 feet away and was just looking for the light when I turned the breaker back on. When I went to go get my tools from the room, the fan was on, too. The fans toggle switch is on the bottom and it definitely was not on. 
The second time I rewired it, the fan would turn on when the proper switch was turned on but the light would not go off no matter what (unless I turned off the breaker). Even with the light switch toggle off - the light stayed on. We couldn't have that.


So, after I redid the wiring for the last time, I turned on the breaker and hoped for the best! And ta-da!


It's completed! The light comes on with the light switch toggle and then fan turned on with the fan toggle. Neither stayed on if the toggle was off and neither were both on unless both toggles were on.

This was a pretty cool project for me. When I was in the ninth grade, I took a class that taught us how to hook up electrical stuff and ground them and make them work. I probably should have remembered a lot more from that class since I liked it so much, right? Well, after watching Josh do it 100 times for 100 different outlets and switches, I was pretty confident that I remembered all that I had learned in my class with the refreshment that I received from him.

After I did the light switch, I changed standard outlets to GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) outlets and then put new covers on them. That was a pretty fun project since it rained for almost half of them today and they were all outside. *sarcasm* I just hope that we didn't do this for shits and giggles and that they actually finish with the closing. Only time will tell.


What is your kind of favorite project to do?

0 comments: